Hattiesburg American, Hattiesburg, Miss. January 2004-present
• I coordinate breaking news coverage and help create digital and print packages for special content. I am part of the management team that provides leadership to a staff of about 20 people.
• I developed digital and social media strategies that have helped improve web traffic 65 percent over six years, and 20 percent in the last year alone. The number of monthly unique visitors on our site has more than doubled in the last six years.
• I host a monthly social media meetup to get local people together to talk about social media. All experience levels are welcome to participate.
• I continuously develop additional content and manage specialty sites, including a website for brides and brides to be, which I designed. In addition to these sites, I designed and managed three other sites that have since been discontinued because of the economic downturn. Two of those sites featured hyperlocal content. A third was a site for outdoors enthusiasts. I also managed an moms-only discussion site.
• I serve on the newspaper's editorial board, and manage freelance columnists as well as content for daily opinion pages.
• I have seen our paper through two website redesigns and a redesign of the print product.
• I served as lifestyle editor for the American from January 2004-March 2007. I planned and assigned stories for local news and daily and non-daily feature sections. I managed a department of 10, including two assistant editors, five reporters, and three clerks. I also worked with more than a dozen freelance writers and columnists who contributed to the news and lifestyle sections.
• I took over the online department in October 2006, running both departments for six months.
The Mississippi Press, Pascagoula, Miss. June 1999-January 2004
• I planned and wrote lifestyles and community features and covered entertainment and arts events. I had a large coverage area which included the Mississippi Gulf Coast, New Orleans, Jackson, Miss., Mobile, Ala., and Pensacola, Fla. I also covered business, education, environmental issues, historic preservation and the city of Ocean Springs. I helped plan and edit five weekly community news sections.
Sun Herald, Biloxi, Miss. June 1997-June 1999
• My work included designing and laying out six weekly feature sections and the weekend front pages. I edited copy and was responsible for the final check of the features sections and weekend papers.
• I produced an award-winning semi-weekly newspaper with a staff of about 25. I implemented staff training and development with journalism professionals and hosted workshops where my staff could learn from area professionals and public officials about what questions to ask, how to ask them, how to behave and dress when covering an event, what is expected by readers and how the media is perceived by the public. Before I was selected to serve as editor-in-chief, I served as photo editor and reporter/photographer.